Message: A Work of Art
Speaker: Greg Holder
Read Romans, Chapter 16 from different translations
Paul is giving us an example of how he could not do this ministry on his own.
Discuss the many different people that surrounded Paul.
1. Phoebe - means "bright" "radiant" - she is referred to as a servant.
2. Priscilla and Aquila - wife and husband - they are also mentioned in Acts 18
3. Epaenetus - means "praiseworthy" - he could have been the first convert to Christ in connection to the province of Asia.
4. Mary - Semitic name -
5. Andronicus and Junias - Latin and Greek - Paul adds that these have been in prison with him. Look up 2 Corinthians 11:23
6. Ampliatus - Latin
7. Urbanus - means "refined"
8. Apelles - means "tested"
9. Tryphaena and Tryphosa - Likely sisters, maybe twins - means "dainty" and "delicate"
10. Persis - means "Persian Lady" - she was probably single. Is referred to has a dear friend of Paul
11. Rufus - means "red" - is mentions in Mark 15:21 - son of Simon
12. Tetius - wrote the letter to the Romans for Paul. means "third" - could have been a former slave.
13. Gaius - wealthy
14. Quartus - means "fourth" - could also have been a slave.
15. Erastus - worked in government
These are the people that Paul surrounded himself with. They are all from different backgrounds, but what do they have in common?
This shows us that Paul won't do ministry alone.
How can we apply this to our lives/ministry today?
As we are in a place of restriction, are we craving community?
How can we build community in these times?
Discuss how we can build relationships in creative ways. How can we broaden our circle of community?